Author Topic: The Tello Files. (All things strange, witnessed, verifyable and/or credible (?)  (Read 2961178 times)

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
  • You don't get everything you want at Tello's.
    • facebook
"The B@zturd Love Child of Comix & a News Organization"

*FluffyDuckee*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Waves to everyone
:duckling:  *lurking by to say Hi*

:lurk: :lurk: :lurk: :lurk: :lurk: :lurk: :lurk: :lurk: :lurk:
:duckling:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
:duckling: 

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook

Alan Lewis
The eBay Article You Must Read

With all the press last week about eBay's big layoffs you may have missed the best article on eBay I have ever seen written in the mainstream press. http://www.forbes.com/2008/10/06/ebay-donahoe-whitman-tech-enter-cz_vb_1006ebay.html  Instead of regurgitating the layoff press release, the article digs into the cultural issues that are at the root of eBay's malaise. The author, Victoria Barret, pinpoints the consultant mindset that permeates the company as being at fault for much of the current problems, and I heartily concur.

I was one of the senior managers on the "eBay 3.0" team that the article mentions, and through that process I got to see first hand how dysfunctional eBay had become. When the team presented our ideas to the executives, John Donahoe said that it was his "best day at eBay so far." After the presentations, the marketing group, which had championed eBay 3.0 to begin with, based the entire 2007 advertising campaign around the ideas put forth. But some within the product group never really bought into it and it was those individuals who, I suspect, ensured that the budget allocated for eBay 3.0 product changes never materialized. The eBay 3.0 team handed executives a roadmap, one they said was great, but they chose to continue on the same meandering, directionless path as before. Products still were built by consultants after pouring over reams of data, but data can't tell you what is going to happen -- that takes insight, intuition, and courage.

The Forbes article also includes a great quote from a "former strategist," who says: "eBay is run by smart people who don't use eBay and spend hours debating the data about how other people use eBay." I can attest for the truth of this statement, and I think it is absolutely damning. When walking the halls at headquarters, you used to see cubicles decked out with stuff bought on eBay. Not anymore. Indeed, one of the most elaborate such decorations, a 4 foot long eBay logo made out of Legos, is currently being auctioned off on the site by an employee who was laid off last week.

Where has the eBay spirit gone? The biggest single cause is that eBay has, over the last few years, increasingly relied on outsourced developers (who rotate into San Jose on shifts) and H1B employees. These are good people, but because of the temporary nature of their work at eBay there is less reason to become emotionally involved in the company. There is also no effort to instill eBay culture into the employee base (including contractors and outsourced workers). For too many at eBay, working there is just a job.

One of the ideas that I had voiced many times was to add each employee's eBay user ID in the company web directory. When eBay bought Skype, it added everyone's Skype ID to the directory, making the omission of eBay IDs all the more striking. This small change would give those who don't use the site nowhere to hide (and come to think of it, eBay IDs should probably be added to public announcement board posts too). "Oh, Bob, I see you haven't sold anything for six months... are you sure that the changes you are suggesting to the SYI page are a good idea?" Working at eBay without using the site is like being a chef who won't eat what they cook.

I agree with much of eBay's current strategy. The investments in trust and safety are long overdue, and growing the fixed price inventory available through eBay makes sense. But the eBay website user experience is still terrible. There is no product visionary in a leadership position at the company - no person who has the knowledge and the ability to look at the day to day process and say "this sucks!" and then follow through to fix it. There is no one person who can manage the user experience in its entirety and say "no!" to dribbling out changes week after week. A strategy is great, but if the company doesn't have the ability to implement it right then that strategy is just a bunch of words. eBay needs its product visionary. eBay needs its Steve Jobs.

When I announced I was leaving eBay, John Donahoe set up a 1 on 1 meeting with me before I left. During the meeting John listened intently to what I had to say about eBay in general and eBay Desktop (my product) in particular. A point that I emphasized is that eBay needs better product leadership -- a point mirrored by the Forbes article. I like John and I respect him, and he has been left in a terrible bind by those he replaced, who neglected eBay for years. At the end of the meeting John asked me to "be a good eBay citizen." I have taken that to heart. I am an eBay citizen, and citizens need to speak up when things are going wrong. The time for real change at eBay is now.
October 16, 2008

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
eMail to a 'confidant':

I am going to do a killing here. Minimum of one. My agenda calls for 3.

The county and State let the Perps get away, but I will not allow it.
Frontier Justice.
Vigillante Law.
Whatever word you Aussies got.

I'm too old, wise and fed up to allow this injustice ANYMORE.

I'm doing what I was taught to be right. "Fight back".

"They" call it homicide here....

I call it "Doing what Law Enforcement refused to do "...

TOTAL CORRUPTION HERE!!!!!

I must defend the defendable in the face of corrupt adversity!

Hero?

Or "One Pissed-Off Patriot"?

Jimi Hendrix said:" See you in the next world, don't be late".

Talk me out of it..........................

Or tell the perps to come clean.

Not happening. They're psychotic, ya see?

No tears.

-RT

C):-{= <" woe! if tello goes down...I'm gone too! How felafeledup-izzat???"<<

"It is better to die on my feet rather than to continue living on my knees".

-Che Guevarra

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
Tello....... You bin smokin that Nevada Dezert Cactus again????? Yer sposed to pull out the grubs first!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
Tello....... You bin smokin that Nevada Dezert Cactus again????? Yer sposed to pull out the grubs first!

To you, I say "good bye!"

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
Righto - See you when you get back from the Pub.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
Righto - See you when you get back from the Pub.

Joke now--Cry later.

C):-{= <" we know all too well how tragedy plays its hand... "<<

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT

Montello's not just infamous for the dezert.........

The ghost of a gentleman clutching a sword is often spotted watching TV in a Montello living room on a dark night. Residents who have made out this ghost argue this ghost enjoys terrifying unwise people who come trying to find ghosts in Montello. Any which way, this ghost unquestionably is bloodcurdling; one that you wouldn't wish
       to meet at midnight.

The spirit of a woman having a pentagram cut into her foot can regularly be made out on the highest spot of Observatory Hill late in the night looking at the sight. A woman who lives here asserts that this ghost could be the soul of a local who died here in Montello long ago. In any event, this is an unpleasant ghost that any wise person wouldn't wish to bump into.

A woman with worms crawling out of her mouth can be spotted often on a dark night drifting along Grand River. One of the locals steadfastly asserts that this spirit may be a well-known former time native of Montello. Regardless of what, it's a scary ghost that should be steered clear of.

The ghost of a lady with a stiletto in her chest is every now and then distinguished glugging down blood from a glass in Grand River State Wildlife Area very late at night.

The phantom of a strapped up female can occasionally be seen taking pleasure in the scenery at Harrisville Dam on a dark night.

A lady gripping her head beside her arm
was observed on a Montello residential road before dawn. The phantom spoke about avenging a murder. No matter what folks utter, it without a doubt is a creepy ghost that you wouldn't wish to run into on a dark night.

=========================================================================================================================================

The ghost of a youthful female wearing a blood-splattered dress emerged suspended in the air like a helium balloon in Montello. The viewer was terrified and ran off. Several of the folks who live in this town declare this phantom is the undeparted soul of a long dead Montello resident.

A headless woman was seen looking at a woman sleeping on a futon in a trailer in Montello. The ghost waved to the observer.

The spirit of a 10 feet tall colossal man became visible outside Devil's Lake State Park reading a newsletter. When the phantom was perceived it faded away into the night.

The spirit of a woman having half her head not there was distinguished outside the entrance to Ice Age National Scenic Trail hauling a headbone. Panic stricken by the bystanders the ghost departed into the shadows. One thing is for sure, this ghost certainly is frightening; one that any normal person wouldn't wish to encounter.

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
Yawn........

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
Tragedy..... wasn't that the BeeGees? Can't remember the words..... ya got me there! Don't be lettin any barstard fool with yer drinks! Pour yer own!

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT

Ok I'm pullin the Ace card....whats yer side of the story ?...was it your still or not ?...

[attachment deleted by admin]

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
Still? Did you say still Yib??? I made one of them in the garage a few years ago. Fermented the horse molasis and stilled the result. Made a rather savage red rum. Nearly burnt the garage down too - when my apparatus went up in flames. Banned from stilling these days.... but people do tend to forget after a while.

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Hi r..apparently in 2008 someones still in the basement nearly took out Montello Nevada !... I'm quizzin tello if he knew anything about it...

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
Now that's one way to increase the tone of your base drum....

"The biggest STILL in Nevada" Now that does have a ring to it!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
Valued Smokers Outlet Customers,

URGENT!!!!

Yesterday, November 19th, the Senate Judiciary Committee approved  Bill S.1147 ("PACT ACT") to go before the senate floor for a full vote.  If passed, this bill will prevent the shipping of all tobacco products via the internet, phone or catalog  through any mail services.  We need your help in stopping this bill, as it is the first step in taking away one more of our rights.  Please contact your state senators and tell them "VOTE NO ON THE PACT ACT."  Please forward this email to as many friends and family as possible.  We have worked too hard to provide you with superior products at great prices to let our government take it away.Please click the link below for a more detailed explanation of the bill and to sign the petition.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/us-citzens-against-the-pact-act-of-2009-s1147.

Thankyou for your support,

Fred Fogelman

Smokers Outlet Online
\

FeLAfel AmeriKKKA!!!!

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
That's strange...... I thought those changes had already been instigated via the Patriot Act.... weapons of mass destruction???

But then Tello..... It may not be acceptable to post from within the place..... but what about from outside the country?

*r3830*

• Knight of the RT
......shut down U.S. based online tobacco stores and Native American online tobacco stores and shut down the United States Postal Service from delivering tobacco products with the exception of cigars.

SO, in other words - buy offshore or grow your own. Why the exemption for cigars? Who in power smokes these things?

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
 US Customs could confiscate all incoming tobacco, with the exception of cigars.  :evillaugh:
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
The New World Order will be a Smoke-Free environment.

I hate these guys!!!!!

Roo

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
I agree Tello!.....because I'm Smokin'.... :saint:

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
Alcohol prohibition hardly succeeded. Prohibition is not the answer. Black markets/criminals flourish. :(
“I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, because I'm not myself, you see”  Lewis Carroll

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
Montello Saloon bet: What was the name of the soothsayer on The Johnny Carson Show?

http://www.joke-archives.com/oddsends/carnac.html

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
A. Cockrobin

Centuries

• Knight of the RT

*Ubbie Max*

• Knights of the RT
  • Knight of the RT
  • Never take a knife to a gunfight
Is that a Cockrobin? It won't stop skwarking

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook

Centuries

• Knight of the RT
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
Q. what is that you are rubbing against my bottom Batman

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :roflmao: :saint:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook

mandurahmum

• Knight of the RT
I hope you have a wonderful and safe thanksgivings Tello ( I also hope I have the date right)

gr8-expectations

well said manmum hope also you have a lovely thanksgiving tello with tasty montello turkey and all your friends

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
Thx guys!

I'm sitting this one out.

There's feasting next door in the Saloon starting at 3 PM. It's 1:40 now.

I'm still wearing my jammies.

At 4 PM I'm going in, scoop and run.

Private "Twilight Zone Marathon" in my crib. (I have the Box Set.)

Humbug!

gr8-expectations

lol sounds like fun tello have you seen the new twilight zone movie yet, i guess you have does montello have a movie theatre? its been a huge hit i believe, my son has prolly been to it he loves all that stuff as do most kids and many grown ups these days

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
Warm-up shows:

Black Christmas 1974

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071222/

Black Christmas 2006
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454082/

Silent Night, Bloody Night (1974)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070694/

:bigcalibre: :xmastree: :rifle:

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
Pig-Out at the OK Saloon!

I just ate so much (and so well), that I gotta brush my teeth with a power tool.

:tello: **burp**

gr8-expectations

charmin..... lol

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
Yule get yer turn!

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
15600 :yess: :crazy:

*Yibida*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
This is my last post I'm sleepy...tello when you see this tomorrow put it on and be a geek like the rest of us...{ just fer x-mas }

[attachment deleted by admin]

gr8-expectations

i have already selected tello and roo's wedding gift off ebay australia.....

gr8-expectations

night knight yibby have a gr8 day tomorra/today

*smee*

• Action Group
  • Knight of the RT
i have already selected tello and roo's wedding gift off ebay australia.....

they would look nice in the pool room next to your magnificient Mozart .... you better not have broken that !!!!!!

gr8-expectations

lol yes they would, not broken smee sitting here on my sound system, love that piece, i also have tons of noddy

gr8-expectations

mozart is looking at me right now with a disapproving stare lol

tellomon

• Knight of the RT
    • facebook
Disney to Reboot Mickey Mouse, Internet to Make Fun of Them

As some of you may know, your childhood is getting a crotch punt–or as the New York Times puts it, Mickey Mouse is getting a reboot. The article discusses, among other things, a new Mickey Mouse to connect with today’s youth; a Mickey Mouse that is “cantankerous and cunning,” a dirtier Mickey who walks and talks differently and is maybe even a little selfish. Now, while one acclaimed writer maintains that today’s youth is less “cantankerous and cunning” and more “constantly sticky and full of shite,” others say the move is a welcome change. Mickey’s wholesomeness is outdated by today’s standards; if Disney wants him to connect to kids, they need him to be edgier and in your face; he needs to hangout with Yib, Tello and Smee...... and use buzz words or he’ll just disappear completely.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/disney-to-reboot-mickey-mouse-blogger-to-make-fun-of-them/